Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On

This afternoon I was trying to think of one sentence that sums up my weight loss efforts over the past few months, as well as my general attitude towards health and fitness. The first thing that popped into my head was a British poster from WWII: Keep Calm and Carry On.  This is one of a series of posters produced in 1939 by the Ministry of Information - the ever-practical Brits planned to use them to remind citizens to keep their wits about them in the event of a Nazi invasion.

I just love the simplicity of this statement - to me it says "OK Jill, this (doughnut, injury, forgotten gym bag, fill-in-the-blank) might not have been in your plan, but you're an intelligent, capable woman - pull yourself together and figure out how to manage your way through it."

I may never have to deal with a Nazi invasion, but anyone that has struggled with their weight knows that sometimes dieting  does feel like a battlefield.  To me, Keep Calm and Carry On seems like the perfect response to any diet challenge.  Box of Thin Mints by your office printer?  Use a printer on a different floor.  Overindulged at lunch?  Have a tiny dinner.  Injury to your Achilles tendon?  Work out in the pool.  I like this slogan so much I'm going to order a poster to put up next to my treadmill!

What statement best defines your fitness attitude?

1 comments:

Jules - Big Girl Bombshell said...

Love that saying! I guess my statement, right now, in this moment, for my fitness attitude, just keep the routine moving even if I can't.

Post a Comment