Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Swimming

Sunday is normally my treadmill and swim day, but I've developed tendinitis in my right Achilles tendon and have decided to avoid the treadmill for a couple weeks until it heals up a bit.  So my workout tonight was all swimming!  I wanted to stay in the pool for a half hour so I broke up the laps with some pool running to give my legs a workout.  It is HARD to run in the pool!

Anyway, I swam a total of 650 yards tonight when all was said and done, but I'm a bit concerned about my breathing.  I find that my most efficient stroke is freestyle, breathing after every 4th stroke.  However, after about 100 yards I find that it becomes harder and harder to take a full breath to carry me forward and my throat starts to feel constricted.  Breathing after every other stroke is a bit better but it throws off my rhythm and slows me down.  And in general I find that my breaststroke is extremely slow as well as more tiring.  Is there anyone out there with advice on how to improve my breathing?  I think this will end up being the limiting factor in my ability to complete the triathlon in August, so I'd better find a solution to this problem!

1 comments:

Jules - Big Girl Bombshell said...

Jill,
I am not an expert my no means, but perhaps I can help you with the breathing in the pool. It is typically a habit to hold our breath for several strokes at a time.. Like you said, after every 4th stroke and sooner throws off the rhythm. As silly as it might sound, go back to the basics of learning to swim. Blowing bubbles and practicing the head turn breath, face in water blow bubbles. It helps to develop the rhythm and give yourself the oxygen. With the breast stroke the bubbles thing will help to. Hope this helps you

Post a Comment