Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Thursday, November 5, 2009

MBT review

Today I wore my MBT shoes to work.  They are dorky looking:

but are so uber-comfortable that sometimes I wear them to work with jeans.  The soles of the shoes are rounded so that the heels and toes don't touch the ground when you're standing in neutral posture.  This design results in a slightly unstable walking surface, which forces you to engage more of your leg muscles in the act of walking.  To date, I've mainly worn them on level walking surfaces, and have found my posture is greatly improved and my feet feel really good with each step.  I think my ankles are better aligned as well.  There is also a feeling of mild resistance - the closest sensation I can think of is walking in sand.

Anyway, today I wore them on my lunchtime walk with Jenn.  There is a moderate hill right outside the back door of our building, and we took this route to get to the track for our walk.  Whoa, within about 90 seconds my legs were BURNING!!!!  I honestly could not believe just how much more difficult it was to walk uphill in these shoes!  I was really pleased to find out that I can throw on these shoes to give a 20 minute lunchtime walk a nice intensity boost.  And I'll definitely be lacing them up everytime I go to the mall or walk the dog.  Thanks MBT - now you just need to work on making them a bit more business casual and less like freaky bowling shoes...

0 comments:

Post a Comment