Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Running & Weight Loss

I love running!  Although I can't sustain it for longer than a minute right now, I look forward to the time when my runs are 30 or more minutes long.  Several years ago, I was able to jog 5 miles or more at a time, and after the first mile or so the feeling was just incredible.  One foot in front of the other, the rythym of my breathing, letting my thoughts drift - I really miss that.  One of the things I loved most about running is the zone I would get into - unhurried, relaxed and feeling like I could just go on and on forever.  My runs were about enjoying the journey, not worrying about the destination. 

Today's treadmill workout felt like one of my old runs.  After a 5 minute warmup, I did 12 intervals - a minute at 5 mph, then a 2 minute recovery at 3 mph.  Total distance at 5mph was 1 mile, a new record.  And during the entire workout I felt so peaceful and strong.  I didn't set out to do so many intervals, I just kept doing one after the other because it felt soooo good.  Don't get me wrong - it was really hard and I left the treadmill with shaky legs and sweat stinging my eyes - but it felt good nonetheless.  As I started my swim, I reflected on why I was able to go so much farther today than last time - and I think it was because I wasn't really focused on a specific goal for the day, instead I just worked on putting one foot in front of the other and observing how my body felt.  Once there was no endpoint, I felt free to let go and just be.

Something really clicked with me right there in the pool - I realized that if I take the same approach to weight loss I might be more successful in developing healthy habits.  Rather than putting my main focus on how much I lose every week, what if I put my focus on navigating each food choice in my day, and enjoying the glow of success everytime I make a choice that serves my overall goal?  Is it possible to get to a point where I actually enjoy the weight loss process instead of resenting it?  Where building new habits becomes a pleasurable experience instead of a chore?  I think it is very possible, and as I shift my way of looking at this whole experience I'm starting to look forward to the next food choice as a chance to put another success under my (ever-loosening) belt.

1 comments:

loss running said...

Good article. Very well written

Post a Comment