Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Yoga - Not Just For Thin People!

Of all the new fitness activities I've tried this year, one of my faves is my weekly yoga class with Rena.  She  taught me that you can do yoga at any size - there are always modifications to help you get the most out of each pose.  I think this is such an important concept to get out there - yoga is for everyone!

One of my favorite poses is Adho Mukha Svanasana, or Downward Dog.  I did this pose often this past summer to help stretch out my tight calves while I was training for the 3-Day.   The pose looks like this (thanks to Yogajournal.com for the photos):

 

Right now, I don't have the flexibility to go as deeply into this pose as the limber woman above.  However, there are modifications I can do to get the full stretch out of the pose without tearing my Achilles tendon.  I use yoga bricks to sort of 'bring the floor closer' so I can still do the pose.  Behold the magic of yoga bricks:




Here is Triangle pose (Utthita Trikonasana) - great for strengthening core and legs.  I don't yet have the flexibility to bring my legs into such a wide stance, but I can still get a lot out of the pose by using a brick for support:



 

So if you are afraid to try yoga because you think you won't be able to do it, don't be!  Find a studio or instructor that can help you modify the poses, or do some research online.  My sources tell me that this DVD from Megan Garcia is an excellent starting point for overweight people that want to benefit from a yoga practice. 


This past week Rena suggested that I choose a 'goal pose' to work towards.  She loves inversions, so we chose Salamba Sirsasana, or Supported Headstand.  Some of the benefits of mastering inverted poses include enhance strength & flexibility, improved circulation, and most importantly the emotional benefit of overcoming fear.  You can read more about the benefits of inversions here.

The pose looks like this: 







My personal goal is to do this pose using a wall to rest my feet against.  To get to that point, I'll practice and master a series of  preparatory poses to get me used to the feeling of being inverted, and also work on building strength in my shoulders and core to be able to support my weight. 






Below is a photo of the first preparatory pose in my series.  My arms are in the same position as the Supported Headstand, but my head is not touching the ground.  My legs are extended to shift some of my weight onto my shoulders.  I'll repeat this pose several times and hold it each time to get used to the feeling of carrying my weight on my shoulders and also to get used to the feeling of being inverted.  Another pose that will help me prepare is Downward Dog.



As I progress with this pose I promise to post photo updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment