Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goals for 2010

At the beginning of a new year, it's hard not to make resolutions - January 1st is a dieter's dream day, when all past transgressions are wiped clean and you have the opportunity to be perfect and live your dream life.  It's an all-or-nothing thinker's paradise.

Which is exactly why I am not making any New Year's Resolutions this year.  Actually, you could say that my resolution is to stop the all-or-nothing thinking and just accept that my life is full of imperfections and mistakes.  That's what makes it so interesting, frustrating, exciting, humorous and just generally a great ride.

But I would be lying if I didn't mention the milestones and accomplishments that I would like to see happen in the next 12 months. 

Before I list this year's goals, however, I would like to reflect on some of my accomplishments from 2009 that make me proud - and to thank those of you that supported me in these achievements.  It may not be a long list, and some of the entries might seem trivial, but all of them are significant to me in one way or another and have made me a better person for the experience:
  1. Started blogging - thanks to all my old and new friends - and especially my husband Ken - for your support!
  2. Trained for the Breast Cancer 3-Day and learned that I can walk for 6 hours - thanks Karen, Abby, Kathy and Rose for being such a great team!
  3. Raised over $12,000 towards breast cancer research with my walking team, The Blister Pack - thanks to all of you who donated time, money, support and things to sell at the yard sale!
  4. Reconnected with a long lost & very dear friend  - thanks Michele for finding me and reaching out!
  5. Took a spinning class, liked it, and went back for more
  6. Danced in public
  7. Eliminated artificial sweeteners from my life
  8. Enlisted the aid of a personal trainer and made a commitment to a healthy lifestyle - thanks Rena for your unwavering support and friendship!
  9. Joined a CSA farm - although we will not be renewing our subscription this year for various reasons, it was an amazing experience that I found very rewarding.
And now for my list of goals - and please take note, there are no weight loss goals in here.  Losing weight is a side effect of a healthy lifestyle - which is not a specific goal I want to achieve but rather a daily choice I want to make - which I feel is an important distinction.

In no particular order...
  1. Complete a triathlon
  2. Take a class in HTML or web design
  3. Develop a reasonable 2 to 4-year plan for transitioning out of my current career and into one that I love
  4. Bake a loaf of french bread from scratch
  5. Write a magazine article (does not need to be published, just written)
  6. Find a way to cook eggs that does not completely gross me out.
  7. Keep blogging
  8. Finish off the exercise room so I have a dedicated space for yoga, meditation and working out.
  9. Plant a small vegetable garden
  10. Reduce spending and create a budget to allow for significantly more saving - in preparation for a career change
Now I would love to hear your goals and/or NYR for 2010!

0 comments:

Post a Comment