Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Monday, February 1, 2010

It's Not About the Food

Warning...significant navel-gazing in this post...

When I started this 'makeover' project last October, I thought it was all about teaching myself new eating habits, getting healthy, meeting my fitness goals, and understanding why I have such a messed up relationship with food.  I am grateful for the progress towards those very important goals but the farther I get down this path, the more I realize that it's not about the food.  It's really about finding out who I want to be - what kind of friend, wife, sister, citizen - or more accurately what kind of human I want to be - and then becoming that person.  Making choice after choice each day that leads me in the direction of the person I want to be.  Some of those choices will be food-related (do I really want to be the girl that eats 3 brownies for lunch?) but most will not.

I find that as I stop focusing on food every minute of the day, I can instead turn my attention to what I want to do with my life.  I'd like a new career, sure - that's certainly one of the steps towards becoming the best version of myself.  But the larger question is really what impact do I want to have on the world around me?  What am I capable of creating, what heights can I reach?  What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind when I'm gone?  Do I want to be an agent of change, or just let the tides carry me where they may?

I thought my relationship with food was holding me back from achieving my goals, but I was wrong.  I defined myself as a compulsive eater, lazy, someone who has no self control.  But I don't need to define myself that way, I can be whoever I want to be.  We all can.

Nope, it's not about the food.

2 comments:

Jules - Big Girl Bombshell said...

I agree! It's not about the food.

Stephanie said...

YES! I work with people who want to improve their relationship with food. They come to me for weight loss or sugar addiction...and it's usually not about the food. It's about your relationship to the world, other people, yourself, your career...

BODA weight loss

Post a Comment