Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Friday, February 19, 2010

Wanna Hear Something Completely Crazy?

Yesterday I went out for lunch to celebrate a coworker’s last day at work (bye Abby, we’ll miss you!!). It was an unplanned lunch and I ditched* the healthy salad that I brought for a buffalo chicken wrap, sweet potato fries and several bites of chocolate lava cake. It was completely yummy and worth it, and even though my lunch was probably close to 2000 calories after all was said and done, I don’t regret it!



Here’s the crazy part – I left work around 5pm, intending to stop off at Whole Foods on the way home to pick up something yummy yet still healthy for dinner. But I wasn’t hungry and couldn’t decide what to get, so I went to my favorite pedicure place instead. I got home around 6:30 with perfect red toes and spent some time on the computer. Around 8pm I realized that I still hadn’t eaten dinner, wasn’t really hungry, and didn’t really care if I ate anything! What????? This is uncharted territory for me – did I really just forget about food? I went to bed without dinner and got up this morning feeling great – both physically and mentally. Even better, I didn’t wake up with cravings for something high in calories – just my normal coffee and granola bar, which I am enjoying as I write this.

I am surprised and pleased by this new development – without even trying I was able to take my hunger cues from my body and not my brain. And most importantly, the high fat/high salt lunch that I had didn’t set off automatic triggers to binge at dinner. Quite the opposite, my body and brain responded to the extra calories as expected, remaining full and satisfied for many hours. Life is good.


*To be fair to myself, I went out for lunch two other times this week and instead of ditching my salad I just brought it along and ate it anyway, instead of buying something that wasn’t part of my daily plan. And as you might guess, I did get some funny looks eating a homemade salad at SALADWORKS! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment