Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Friday, February 12, 2010

You Win Some, You Lose Some

My week is almost over, and there have been some victories and some things I could have done better.  On the plus side, I did manage to gracefully decline one group dinner this week and spend the night relaxing and regrouping in my hotel room with a glass of champagne and a healthy dinner.  I skipped ALL snacks this week, skipped the hotel breakfast buffet and didn't take seconds at lunch (except for the day they served these amazing freshly baked cookies.  I had three).  At a minimum each day I got 3 servings of fruit & veg.  In preparation for this week I brought enough homemade granola bars to have one for breakfast each morning along with a banana and coffee from Starbucks.  And I managed to get in one cardio workout on the cool hotel treadmill:


Seriously, if I had an extra $7000, I'd have one of these in my home!

Unfortunately, I couldn't get out of business dinners on Tuesday and Thursday, which meant eating in restaurants that had few healthy options and not knowing the menu ahead of time.  On Tuesday night I did fairly well - although I didn't have low cal options to choose from I kept my portions low (left a third of my dinner on the plate), had a few bites of the group appetizer and a few bites of someone else's dessert.  Last night's dinner ...well, that's a different story.  It was at a microbrewery, and I just sort of gave up.  I had a huge beer, way too many bites of the greasy appetizers and ate every bite of the pulled pork sandwich and fries that I ordered.  It was really yummy and once I started I didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of leaving anything on my plate.  Fortunately we really lingered over dinner so by the time my food was gone I was pretty stuffed and didn't order dessert - this is a definite improvement over past dinners out.

As far as workouts go, I was disappointed that I only worked out once.  We started at 7:30 each morning so I had to be on my way out of the hotel by 7am each day - but if I'm really honest with myself I could have gotten up earlier every morning and done something.  But at least I got one good workout in.

All in all, it could have been better, but it definitely could have been worse.  If the scale has gone up a pound or less tomorrow morning I'll consider this week a win.


0 comments:

Post a Comment