Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi

Be the change you want to see in yourself - Shrinking Jill

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fun in the Deep End

After 3 days of heavy cardio plus a great strength training workout I decided to give myself (well mostly my right hip) a break and go for a swim tonight.  There is a really nice pool about 3 miles from my house and they have about 10 lanes dedicated to lap swimming plus a sweeeeeet aquatic play area with slides and waterspouts.  I stopped off on the way home from work and surprised myself by swimming 1000 yards in less than 30 minutes!  Woohoo!

The pool is uber-nice - very clean, not over-chlorinated, nice cool temperature (I absolutely hate lap swimming in bath water) with wide lanes and lifeguards that appear to be actually watching people swim instead of reading books.  Most of the pool is at least 10 feet deep but there's a little ledge that runs around the edge about 4 feet down so you don't have to tread water when you're taking a break.  There are lots of windows so it *almost* feels like you're swimming outside.  The locker room was huge, clean and had a scale that looked like something out of The Biggest Loser (someday I'll post a picture, this thing could weigh farm animals).  Best of all, at 5pm there weren't too many people there so I had a whole lane all to myself!  This is a true luxury - I usually swim at LA Fitness where they only have 4 skinny lanes and I always seem to get stuck sharing with someone who flails about like they're drowning.  One time I got kicked in the head.  But I digress.

Anyway, 1000 yards is the farthest I've swum (swam?) since I was on the swim team in 9th grade and had to do a 2 mile (3600 yard) swim for charity (I puked afterwards).  I guess you could say I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment